Target Driven CLD Service

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Robert Wilson
Target Driven CLD Service
by Robert Wilson - Monday, 26 September 2016, 9:09 PM

Hi 

I am on a quest of reflection on the use of 'targets' within CLD and asking myself why I can't get my head around target driven service? I am an adaptable practitioner but struggling to accept targets as a starting point, since it seems to me a contradiction in working with individuals and communities in what they wish to learn. 

Therefore I am looking for any articles or thought provoking statements from my colleagues who share my frustration or agree with the 'new world order' of target driven work.

Many Thanks

Robert

Picture of Ceri Hunter
Re: Target Driven CLD Service
by Ceri Hunter - Wednesday, 28 September 2016, 8:47 AM

Hi Robert,

i don't think you are the only one that struggles with working within a target driven CLD service.  Given that we are a needs led field of practice the idea of having a set of targets given to you sometimes before you have even met your participants, can be a contradiction to our way of working.

I only did a quick scan for articles relating to this issue but i found this one from De Montfort University.  It is in a an English context but they have experienced similar issues to the Scottish Context.  http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/health-and-life-sciences-documents/research/squaringthecircle.pdf

Cheers

Ceri

Picture of Julia Ross
by Julia Ross - Thursday, 29 September 2016, 10:31 AM

Hi Robert ...

I also struggle with the concept of targets. 

Working in the public sector, I fully understand why services are target driven but you're right - there is a huge danger in doing work which clearly meets a target and therefore "ticks a box" somewhere but is that work really making a difference to the very people whom the service should be helping?

My service is going through a period of change.  We've had meetings to discuss areas of concern and we've been mapping our current provision to check whether we are actually working in the areas which - on the face of it, using measures such as SIMD data - seem to need our input most.  We're trying to let go of stuff which isn't working and from there, hoping to focus all our resources on what we think might work more effectively ... but no matter which way you look at it, there are still targets to meet in terms of how many learners we're engaging with, how many learners are actually attending, how many learners are achieving their goals - the list goes on and on!

I think what helps me most is that if the work I'm doing doesn't start and end with social practice, then it's not something I should be doing at all, no matter which target it might meet.  I'm sure that in common with everyone else on this forum, I've tried every possible creative approach I can think of to work with learners, based on what they're telling me about their needs, and that's the key to it.  Learner need comes before targets. 

Hope that makes sense!

Julia

Picture of Robert Wilson
by Robert Wilson - Sunday, 2 October 2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks Julia. You have given me something else to think about! 

Robert

Picture of Robert Wilson
by Robert Wilson - Sunday, 2 October 2016, 10:00 PM

Thanks Ceri. How do you wrestle with it? 

Robert