Resources for Community Music

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Sean Mannion
Resources for Community Music
by Sean Mannion - Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 11:52 PM

Hi All,

I'm just writing this to ask if anyone has any useful links to resources for practitioners involved in community music provision?

I ask because I'm about to scheme up a programme for informal group guitar lessons in a community setting, and want to involve peer education processes, etc. While being a musician outside of my CLD work, it's been a case of 'never the 'twain shall meet' up to this point, and because it's a new approach for me, it'd be great to get the benefit of other practitioners' experiences, etc.

Thanks in advances, any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

S

Picture of John Galt
Re: Resources for Community Music
by John Galt - Wednesday, 13 January 2016, 9:38 AM

Hi Sean

You might want to have a chat with the Coltness Music project in North Lanarkshire. The project was highlighted as an example of national good CLD practice last year (link below).

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/practice/c/coltnessmusicproject.asp?strReferringChannel=communitylearninganddevelopment&strReferringPageID=tcm:4-837297-64&class=l2+d217538

Picture of Craig Green
by Craig Green - Wednesday, 13 January 2016, 11:39 AM

Hi Sean

You might also be interested in finding out aboutĀ Musical Workshop which works with Glasgow Kelvin College in Easterhouse

The College contact is Stuart Lowe (Senior Youth Worker)

Cheers

Craig

Picture of Alan Fraser
by Alan Fraser - Wednesday, 13 January 2016, 12:22 PM

Hi Sean

We set up a guitar group here in Fintry in DundeeĀ a couple of years ago. It is now self directed so my involvement is arms length. It has been a great group and is still going strong. A very useful resource that we used a lot was the Justin Guitar website.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

I originaly found it on the Education Scotland website.

The peer learning aspect is sometimes difficult to manage and depends a lot on the dynamic of the particular group you are working with.

I would be very happy to have a blether with you if you want to give me a phone on 01382 438641.

All the best

Alan

Picture of Sean Mannion
by Sean Mannion - Friday, 15 January 2016, 10:20 AM

Hi All,

Thanks your responses (and apologies for the delay in replying!) - it's heartening to hear there's a lot happening already. I'll get in touch with you all shortly.

Thanks Again,

Sean