Choosing the category of registration appropriate for you

You can apply to become either a registered associate member or a registered member

The type of registration appropriate for you is dependent on your qualifications and experience.

To become a registered member you require -

  • A Standards Council recognised degree level qualification.  View the list of qualifications that are recognised for registration purposes.


  • One years full-time equivalent practice in a community learning and development setting, gained largely after qualification. This is equivalent to 1,400 hours of practice.

To become an associate member you require to be a full-time, part-time or voluntary practitioner in community learning and development. This includes -

  • Practitioners who have recently completed a recognised professional qualification but have still to gain two years verified practice, or
  • Students undertaking a recognised professional qualification, or
  • Practitioners with a qualification below degree level, or
  • Practitioners with qualifications in other disciplines
  • Practitioners without formal qualifications

You will be asked to select the type of registration you would like to apply for when you register.

Moving from Associate member to Registered Member

If you are registered as an Associate member and have obtained a recognised qualification and the required 1 years experience, you can apply to become a registered member by following the application guidance.

Last modified: Monday, 18 March 2024, 11:35 AM