IPADS for youth learning, adult learning, family learning and collaboration

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Donna Wood
IPADS for youth learning, adult learning, family learning and collaboration
by Donna Wood - Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 3:15 PM

We are looking at the pros and cons of buying and using ipads in our CLD service.  All secondary pupils in our schools will be issued with IPADS as well as shared IPADS for primary school children.

As CLD workers within Adult / Family Learning and Youth Learning we are working with the same young people and their families.

I'm looking for information from anyone that is currently using IPADS for learning.  Also, if anyone has put together a business case for purchasing the IPADS.

Picture of Caroline Davis
Re: IPADS for youth learning, adult learning, family learning and collaboration
by Caroline Davis - Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 4:04 PM

The was a good project in Midlothian that was using iPad for cooking/benefits and ICT training ...small investment and they kept their ipads. His name is Richard Bryce think his email is Richard.Bryce@midlothian.gov.uk

We buy for our youth clubs Amazon Fire and Kid-Proof Case for our youth clubs ..which can take photo'd video's games blogging and feedback 

Picture of Angie Wilson
by Angie Wilson - Wednesday, 30 October 2019, 4:14 PM

Hi, for value for money I'd recommend buying Android tablets (e.g. Samsungs) rather than iPads as they are far more cost effective - also easier to unlock if passwords are forgotten/lost.

Most (though not all) apps on Apple are available for Android and there are alternatives where they are not so there is a slight con in devices not being identical, but it shouldn't cause an issue.

re: business case, I'd suggest compiling a list of what they'll be used for, or if unsure trial a few at a group initially - there are plenty of apps available for all sorts of learning experiences from basic literacies through to creative apps for film making, animation, etc. 

Picture of Richard Bryce
by Richard Bryce - Friday, 1 November 2019, 1:52 PM

Hi Donna

As Caroline said (thanks Caroline) I have done a number of projects using iPads and Android tablets. I can help with some advice around this. I also run a range of digital learning sessions for staff and volunteers around using particular apps with learners. 

My email is richard.bryce@midlothian.gov.uk or you can call me on 07393 798642.