Any advice for a new start?

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Avril Morrison
Any advice for a new start?
by Avril Morrison - Friday, 3 June 2016, 3:41 PM

Hi,

I'm a new CLDW in Aberdeenshire, I'm new to community learning, but I'm not new to adult education.

Do you have any top tips for me?  What do you wish you had known when you started? 

Can you recommend any books/courses/websites for forums?

All help gratefully appreciated!

Avril

Picture of Robert Bray
Re: Any advice for a new start?
by Robert Bray - Monday, 4 July 2016, 11:37 AM

Hi Avril

I see that's it's been a month since you posted this, so you may feel much more experienced now!

My own tip - keep asking questions and don't worry about not knowing all the answers.  My own experience is that people often assume that you know about all sorts of organisational issues, but equally are very happy to explain them to you when it becomes clear that you don't.

Hope it's going well

Rob

Picture of Janet Weir
by Janet Weir - Friday, 5 August 2016, 10:18 AM

Hi Avril

Oh to be new lol!

I hope it is going well and you are settling in.

I would just reiterate what Rob has said in his response.  Do not be afraid to say to yourself that this is not my area of strength and ask for support from colleagues.  We have a reputation as a supportive profession and if you are surrounded by a good team you will get whatever support you require.

As for good books, they are so varied across the strands of CLD it is hard to say.  The service should have books available which you could access.  I would say, have  a read at the back and choose what takes your fancy.  I am motivated by books about injustice in society, which is the reason I do this job.

Good luck with it

Janet x

Picture of Robert Owen
by Robert Owen - Monday, 12 December 2016, 4:42 PM

Avril,

Some of the Margaret Ledwith books can provide a critical starting point for you to work from.

Robert