Numeracy Resources for Adults

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Dehra Macdonald
Numeracy Resources for Adults
by Dehra Macdonald - Monday, 29 April 2019, 8:29 PM

I'm looking for a current numeracy resource/pack to be used with a group of adults. Ideally, one that has been designed using the current numeracy langauge of schools. The hope being that if the adults then decide to help, or even discuss numeracy with children they won't confuse them by using different language.  Can anyone out there share, or signpost me to a numeracy resource that would do this?

Picture of Jemma Henderson
Re: Numeracy Resources for Adults
by Jemma Henderson - Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 10:16 PM

Have you had a look on the TES website? From a quick look I have found this, which may be suitable?
by Dehra Macdonald - Wednesday, 1 May 2019, 9:40 AM

Thank you for sending this over Jemma. It'll be really helpful to get a clearer understanding of if this is a resource others are currently using, or if they are using something else. 

Picture of Becca Childs
by Becca Childs - Wednesday, 1 May 2019, 11:59 AM

Hi

I mainly deliver to P1 parents and have a few ideas.  I do not have a 'course' as such.  If you would like to chat you can contact me on: 01896 664160 - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I can see if I can scan you some of the things I use.

I also sometimes deliver to older children but again don't have electronic copies.

Hope this helps

Becca

by Dehra Macdonald - Thursday, 9 May 2019, 8:59 AM

HI Becca, thank you for your reply. I'm sure I'll be calling at some point!

Picture of Becca Childs
by Becca Childs - Monday, 13 May 2019, 11:15 AM

When I work with literacies learners I use a pack call ARK KEYS to numeracy.  I find it links nicely to SQA numeracy SCQF3/4.

You need to pad it out with other learning materials but I methods are very clear and it doesn't feel childish.

Hope this helps?

I forgot to add my email - bchilds@cotborders.gov.uk

Becca 

Picture of Julia Ross
by Julia Ross - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:49 AM

Hi Becca ... do you have a link for the ARKS pack, by any chance?

I used to have it amongst my resources but have since lost it.  Too many moves within my service and it's probably still in a box somewhere!

Julia

Picture of Becca Childs
by Becca Childs - Wednesday, 29 May 2019, 8:55 AM

Hi

I'm afraid I can't see it to buy online - I looked a while ago and it was £30.

Luckily, someone else in my team had a copy and I have borrowed it.

Fingers crossed you find a copy.

Becca

Picture of alison mclachlan
by alison mclachlan - Wednesday, 1 May 2019, 7:20 PM

Hello Dehra, 

I am thinking this is a great idea for an Ed. Scot. resource  to be developed !

In my experience it is difficult to find adult numeracy resources which link to current primary teaching . I have used BBC skillswise in the past but like Becca usually pull together materials from a variety of places - would be really great if there was a springboard resource people could put their hands on where  adult numeracy relates to curriculum. 

Counting on a Greener Scotland resource pack has a numeracy section which relates to the environment topics highlighted -these topics link to the curriculum as this is the main focus of the resource so numeracy is a support but not main feature. 

Could put something out through numeracy network to get a range of examples people use?

Good luck and congrats. on job too 

Alison

by Dehra Macdonald - Monday, 13 May 2019, 1:05 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions Alison.

I met with Jackie Howie last week and we hope to get something out to the numeracy netwrok soon.

Thank you for your help, I'll keep you posted, Dehra

Picture of Avril Morrison
by Avril Morrison - Monday, 13 May 2019, 10:22 AM

As a parent of primary school aged children (as well as a CLD worker) I've found the book "Maths for Mums and Dads" to be very useful!

Maths for Mums and Dads by Mike Askew https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0224086359/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_1Bt2Cb19P4YJX

The also have a version for secondary school, called "the teenage years"

More Maths for Mums and Dads by Mike Askew https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0224095315/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_6Ct2CbTM9RCDG

Picture of Avril Morrison
by Avril Morrison - Monday, 13 May 2019, 10:26 AM

Oh yes, there is also an android app called photomath, which I think works by voodoo...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microblink.photomath

Picture of Becca Childs
by Becca Childs - Monday, 13 May 2019, 11:11 AM

Yes - Andrew did a CPD session - aimed at teachers really, but it was very useful.  I have both his books they are good.

For an app to improve additions / subtraction and learn your tables - try math workout - on android. 

by Dehra Macdonald - Monday, 13 May 2019, 1:10 PM

Thank you for this Avril. I hadn't seen these books before so just spent much longer than I should have done on the 'look inside' facility on Amazon. I really like the explanations at the beginning so I'll be ordering these.

Picture of Julia Ross
by Julia Ross - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 11:53 AM

Hi Dehra ...

Congratulations on the new job - hope it's all going well!

Last saw you when we had a wee sub-group with Jackie, working on matching the ALN Professional Development Framework competencies to the CLD Competencies.  That sounds about right ...

Just had a thought about a numeracy resource for adults - what about the Liverpool Community College materials for numeracy? I use them and they're really good. 

J.