Digital Inclusion Projects

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Rory Brown
Digital Inclusion Projects
by Rory Brown - Thursday, 27 July 2017, 4:39 PM

Hi All,

I've recently taken up post as a digital inclusion worker in Govan with responsibility for getting a community hub space for drop in tech advice and events up and running. 

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any exciting work being done in working on digital literacy, getting people excited about technology etc.

Thanks!

Rory

Picture of susan stewart
Re: Digital Inclusion Projects
by susan stewart - Thursday, 27 July 2017, 5:31 PM

Not sure if you are registered with GLOW Rory, but there may be something of interest within Yammer (GLOW blog), that you may wish to look at - Digital Learning & Teaching.  I was able to gain a user name through the High School, when I was working in partnership with them a few years ago, and have been able to gain user names for colleagues through the person that deals with this within Renfrewshire Council, by linking them with one of the primary schools we are working with.

Susan

Picture of Angie Wilson
by Angie Wilson - Friday, 28 July 2017, 9:06 AM

Hi Rory, in a previous roles I've been involved with delivering free IT courses and training in local Libraries. I found short themed courses worked well as did one off drop-ins.

Traditional office skills (esp Word and Excel) ran throughout the year and always had a waiting list with people wanting these skills for work, college etc.

More recreational classes were also popular including topics such as "There's an app for that (introduction to tablets course),basic digital photography, using eBay, etc.

You might also want to look at code club and coder dojo for teaching basic programming skills or "raspberry pi" to try out some digital making!

Picture of Liz Green
by Liz Green - Friday, 28 July 2017, 3:28 PM

Hi Rory,

Check out SCVO's Digital Participation work.

As well as the charter there have been over 100 funded projects with different approaches. All the projects have short reports here with info about the work, the outcomes, reflection as well as photos etc. https://digital.scvo.org.uk/participation/projects/

There's also the Digitally Agile CLD website with some resources and the Digitally Agile National Principles there too. http://www.digitallyagilecld.org

Good luck in your post, it sounds great!

Liz

Picture of Rory Brown
by Rory Brown - Thursday, 3 August 2017, 3:05 PM

Thanks for the signposting! Found and read up on some really interesting projects in the area.

I had known about the digital participation charter previously, but having so many case studies has encouraged us as an organisation to sign up and get involved.

Thanks again!