Go Digital - 20th March 2017

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Tricia Ryan
Go Digital - 20th March 2017
by Tricia Ryan - Thursday, 27 April 2017, 2:38 PM

Further to the 'Go Digital' event that was hosted by the Tayside and Fife Professional Learning Alliance (the Alliance), I have started this discussion thread to give people the opportunity to comment on how we might keep some dialogue going about relevant 'digital' developments across CLD.  I will feed any comments back to the Alliance.

Thanks

Tricia

Picture of Graham Hewitson
Re: Go Digital - 20th March 2017
by Graham Hewitson - Thursday, 27 April 2017, 4:26 PM

Just come from a really interesting conversation about digital community engagement - linked to a multi-national project we are part of. Learning with and from the six partner nations is at the heart of that and so I think loads of opportunity. From our perspective it would be good be in a conversation with colleagues in Scotland about about digital engagement and how we can support each other's learning and practice in this area. Is there a place where we could create that conversation? We use Basecamp on the project. Is that familiar to anyone?

Picture of Donald McNeill
by Donald McNeill - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 9:41 AM

Sorry I haven't heard of Basecamp.

Picture of Liz Green
by Liz Green - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 12:59 PM

Hi Graham,

This sounds really interesting, I am part of some international networks around digital and youth work. It would be great to discuss.

We use basecamp regularly in our work at YouthLink Scotland and we have a basecamp space for the Digital Youth Network.

Perhaps an opportunity to bring some ideas together.

best wishes,

Liz

Picture of Graham Hewitson
by Graham Hewitson - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 1:56 PM

Liz

Thanks for getting back. Sounds like a plan!

Is the digital youth network active? Is it easy for others to join and get involved?

Graham

Picture of Angie Wilson
by Angie Wilson - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 9:13 AM

Hi all, maybe a free option e.g. Facebook group (can use work account rather than personal to log in) or google - hangouts for discussion, drive for sharing docs etc.  - though not sure that would work with most council IT systems?

- Angie

Picture of me at a Train Station on my way to work
by Raymond Ward - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 10:48 AM

Morning all,

Yeah the idea with using Google Drive will work as no Adverts which does stop most Council Systems from accessing Websites. Just have to make sure that the Browser is up to date, which is a problem for some Council Systems. With Google Drive all can access from any PC 24/7 and all free of charge, make sure all have a Google email account will make it all work better. Also can access Google Drive from your Android Mobile phone as well just get the App. You will have to check and see if it works on other Mobile phone platforms such as iPhone, Windows and Blackberry to make sure. 

I have Android and the Google Drive Application on my phone and it does work fine, With Google Docs & Sheets, they too can view any MS Office Doc as well once uploaded to Google Drive. Worth a look as this is all for Free! You can also use G+ (Google Plus - Social Networking App) which you can view up to 9 people (You plus 9 = 10 people) in a video Conference, all have to have Gmail accounts as well; that too is also free of charge.   

Picture of Ceri Hunter
by Ceri Hunter - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 11:45 AM

Hello,

just to follow up on the local authority access to Google Drive, Google +, Hangouts etc Scottish Borders Council's IT provider (CGI) blocks access to the majority of Google products unless you request special access.  I managed to gain access as it is used by Aberdeen Uni for the CLD Postgrad.

As mentioned by Raymond, accessing it on a tablet or phone is a way around this.  I know that it works well on both Android and iphone/ipad.

Picture of me at a Train Station on my way to work
by Raymond Ward - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 11:49 AM

A few links so that you can see what the Big Tech Firms are doing as far as Go Digital and Education. All seem to use some sort of collaborative software, Going Digital then have a look a few ideas and you may not have to create the wheel again.

Google in Scotland's Education System: - https://plus.google.com/communities/103577237113072846685  

Microsoft Education: - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/education 

Both have a vested interest in Education in schools...

Picture of Angie Wilson
by Angie Wilson - Thursday, 4 May 2017, 10:30 AM

Hi - the 1st one is a Google+ group (community I think they call it) which you can get with a google login as well as hangouts, drive, gmail etc .You can set up public or private groups. Haven't personally set one up but have linked in to a few and found them easy to follow / use - e.g.  I get alerts on my phone as people post.

- Angie

Picture of Kevin Heller
by Kevin Heller - Tuesday, 2 May 2017, 5:06 PM

Kev Heller from Perth & Kinross Council, just checking in... and I've never heard of Basecamp!

Cheers, Kev