Duke of Edinburgh type course for Adults

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Catriona McNicoll
Duke of Edinburgh type course for Adults
by Catriona McNicoll - Thursday, 2 February 2017, 3:22 PM

hi

I'm at the very early stages of looking to develop a course for adults that incorporates some of the elements of the duke of Edinburgh programme such as outdoor activities, volunteering, learning something new and life skills. I wondered if anyone has run/developed anything like this or know of any existing programmes that are around. I know there is the discovery award which caters for those aged 50 and over so am looking to cater for those under this age.

Look forward to hearing

thanks

Catriona

Picture of Fiona Mackintosh
Re: Duke of Edinburgh type course for Adults
by Fiona Mackintosh - Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 9:38 AM

have you looked at John Muir Awards which centres around learning about the environment and has different levels which can be tailored to suit your group

https://www.johnmuirtrust.org/john-muir-award

by Catriona McNicoll - Thursday, 9 February 2017, 11:50 AM

Thanks Fiona

I have heard of John Muir Awards but hadn't thought of using this. Def will look at this. Had been thinking about linking in the Adult Achievement Award.

Gavin Crosby
by Gavin Crosby - Friday, 10 February 2017, 8:49 AM

The 'Adult Achievement Awards' are still in pilot stage, being led by Newbattle Abbey Adult Learning college

http://www.newbattleabbeycollege.ac.uk/adult-achievement-awards/#

my colleague Neil Saddington here in Midlothian has had some involvement with the development of the programme.

Like the youth achievement award, the AAA differ from the DofE by not having a mandatory outdoor section - but you could incorporate that if it was the groups theme.

by Catriona McNicoll - Monday, 13 February 2017, 5:00 PM

Thanks Gavin

I have learners doing the pilot so will explore using this option further. I have met with youth work and we have come up with some good ideas to explore further  including gaining an outdoor qualification to enable myself and other workers to take groups further afield and learn new skills such as map reading and orienteering etc.   

Picture of Jackie Sutherland
by Jackie Sutherland - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 10:18 AM

Hey C! Gwen Bowles and Joyce Kettles look after the DofE for our y.p but will likely be able to help with the adult one? :0)

by Catriona McNicoll - Friday, 12 May 2017, 2:16 PM

Thanks Jackie

met with Gwen and following on from this a couple of us are going to try out running a hillwalking group with other learning opportunities alongside this such as first aid and navigational skills.

Picture of Fiona Findleton
by Fiona Findleton - Saturday, 13 May 2017, 9:37 AM

Hi there

I am aware that in Dundee someone used to run the 'Discovery Award'. This was D of E style programme for adults who were over 50.  Apologies but I can not remember the guys name that I was in contact with.  maybe someone else can.............

Picture of Kevin Ditcham
by Kevin Ditcham - Saturday, 13 May 2017, 10:21 AM

Hey

Here's the website for the Discovery Award. It's now available across the whole of the UK! http://www.discoveryaward.org.uk/ 

Hope this helps

Kevin 

Picture of Jackie Sutherland
by Jackie Sutherland - Monday, 15 May 2017, 10:22 AM

Sounds great! :)

Picture of karen downs
by karen downs - Monday, 15 May 2017, 1:09 PM

The SQA Personal Development  units can be used very flexibly to incorporate Duke of Edinburgh type activity.

The Asdan Bronze, Silver and Gold includes a range of activities, including Volunteering and Community involvement and can be used effectivley with an adult group.