Making an educational film

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 3 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of ian Macfadyen
Making an educational film
by ian Macfadyen - Monday, 4 May 2020, 1:05 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to say what a great idea this forum is.

As I’m just completing 3rd year Comm Ed and being asked to produce a film, with an online link for access, I just wanted to ask if any of you experienced Comm Edr’s had any tips for going about this. Thanks in advance 😊

Picture of Ceri Hunter
Re: Making an educational film
by Ceri Hunter - Monday, 4 May 2020, 1:49 PM

Hi Ian,

couple of quick questions.  Do you have any experience in making videos? Are you looking for the online video to be available publicly?  

For the online access, there are a couple of options:  Vimeo and Youtube could be a starting point.  Vimeo allows you to password protect the video and Youtube has the unlisted option meaning only those with the link can view it.  If it's to be public then Youtube would be an easier option.

Ceri

Picture of ian Macfadyen
by ian Macfadyen - Monday, 4 May 2020, 2:08 PM

Hi Ceri and thanks for your reply.

From what I can gather having limited comms is that it’s to be available to fellow Comm Ed workers so Vimeo might be the way forward.

I have no experience of making a video but am collecting clips as I go along on an iPhone app called Kinemaster. It seems an easy app to use but although I’ve got permission to use some video clips that are on YouTube I haven’t heard back from others.

The film is entitled “Mood Food” and so far have included some clips of myself and some clips from YouTube where experts are giving opinion. I’m not sure if I can use these if I just make the statement “For Education Purposes” on the title. 

What do you think?

Thanks

Picture of Barry McPhilemy
by Barry McPhilemy - Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 8:32 AM

Morning Ian. 

The service i work for, the staff are producing a number of videos that include themselves completing various challenges (Toilet roll challenge etc) where we post across various platforms - Facebook, TikTok. Twitter. Instagram. 

So firstly, as you have said, permission is required. In our case, all staff have given consent for videos to be posted across multiple platforms. 

Im not sure what the copyright requirements are for using anything already on youtube. Im sure youtube would have a policy for that, or you could maybe contact the person through their username on youtube for example, and ask directly for their permission to use. 

As for using Vimeo - by using Vimeo only, Community Education workers who dont use Vimeo wont have access to what you create. Collecting clips is the way to go. These dont need to be collected in an app as such. Collect on a device and edit once you have all the media you require. Once you have made your video, post on the required platform. 

On mobile devices, Inshot is a good app. I use iMovie on a mac which i prefer. 

I would add, i wouldnt post these across your own personal social media platforms. Anything me and my colleagues post are all posted across our services social media platforms. 

Picture of ian Macfadyen
by ian Macfadyen - Wednesday, 6 May 2020, 8:54 PM

Hi Barry,

I get what you’re saying re social media.

Might give inshot a try as kinemaster doesn’t seem to allow synchro of volume across all clips and I will be using those that I’ve got permission for.

Tech skills not being great, editing the clips and photos in an app is where I’m at just now and will think about how to make it available online later. Thanks for your input 👍